Artillery is used in a variety of roles depending on its type and caliber, the main role is to provide fire support. there are different types of fire support for tactical purposes: Counter-battery fire, Counterpreparation fire, Covering fire, Defensive fire, Harassing fire, etc.
Self-propelled artillery remains important in the equipment of many modern armies. The Royal Moroccan Army operates:
~60 (203 mm) M110A2, The M110’s range varied from 16,800 meters to approximately 25,000 meters when firing standard projectiles, and up to 30,000 meters when firing rocket-assisted projectiles.
~100 (155 mm) AMX Mk F3, The F3 fired the standard 155 mm high-explosive projectile, and is also capable of firing the smoke, illumination and rocket-assisted rounds. The effective range is 20,050 m with 43.75 kg HE rounds.
~213 (155mm) M109, The RMA operates 44 M109A1B, armed with the M126A1 155 mm Howitzer and incorporated more recent improvements into a new production M109A1; 55 M109A2, which incorporated the 155 mm M185 cannon in the M178 gun mount, ballistic protection for the panoramic telescope, counterbalanced travel lock, and the ability to mount the M140 alignment device; 12 M109A3, wich are converted M109A1 incorporating the 27 mid-life improvements; 2 M109A4, which include the addition of Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical/ Reliability, Availability, and Maintainability (NBC/RAM) product improvement kits; 40 M-109L47, wich is a Swiss improved version that incorporates a L47 155 mm gun with an increased firing range of up to 36 km; and 60 M109A5, that replaces 155 mm M185 cannon in M178 mount with 39-caliber 155 mm M284 cannon in the M182 mount, giving the A5 a maximum range of 23,500 meters with unassisted projectiles and 30,000 meters with Rocket Assisted Projectiles (RAP Rounds).
An Unknown Number of (155mm?) 2S19M1 MSTA-S has been purchased recently, according to Rosoboronexport. The 2S19’s standard equipment consists of a semi-automatic laying system 1P22, an automatic loader, an NBC protection system, passive night vision device for the driver, a wading kit, a dozer blade, a smoke generator and 81mm smoke grenade launchers, 1V116 intercom system and a 16 kW generator AP-18D. It can fire the following types of ammunition, among others: HE (24.7 km), HEAT-FS, HE-BB (28.9 km), HERA (36 km), smoke, chemical, illumination and cargo (ICM).
Field artillery is a category of mobile artillery used to support armies in the field. The RMA operates:
35 155mm M198 towed howitzer, which is transported tail first, with the cannon resting above the weapon’s wheels. When firing, the weapon is lowered onto its baseplate rather than being anchored to the ground, allowing for rapid emplacement. The breech is operated manually via a screw type mechanism that rests low in an ergonomic position. The M198 fires non-fixed ammunition and can be loaded with a variety of propellants and projectiles. The effective range is 18,100 meters when firing standard projectiles, and it increases to 30,000 meters when firing rocket-assisted projectiles and guided ammunition. With the 52-caliber modification the range can surpass 40,000 meters. The weapon system requires a crew of 11 and is capable of firing at a maximum rate of four rounds per minute, two sustained.
30 155mm FH-70 towed close support gun.Main features are a detachable auxiliary power unit (APU), an unassisted range of 24 km, 30 km assisted, a burst capability of 3 rounds in 15–20 seconds, 6 rounds per minute for a short period and 2 rounds per minute sustained.
35 155mm M-1950 is a French 155 mm 30 calibre howitzer, The gun has a split trail, large slotted muzzle-brake, four-wheeled bogie and a retractable firing pedestal beneath the axles, effective range is 18,000m with a max range of 23,300m.
20 155mm M114 howitzer is a towed weapon that uses NATO standard 155mm ammunition, with a range of about 14,000m.
36 105mm L118 light weight air mobile air droppable (by parachute) or Towed Howitzer with an average crew of seven soldiers. It provides direct and indirect fire support to highly mobile light infantry divisions and separate brigades. The howitzer can be quickly moved and employed to provide maximum fire power with a minimum of combat loaded weight. It also provides a low silhouette and requires no recoil pit.
18 130 mm towed field gun M-46 M1954 (Russian: 130-мм пушка M-46 обр. 1954 г.) is a manually loaded, towed 130 mm artillery piece, manufactured in the Soviet Union. For many years, the M-46 was one of the longest range artillery systems around, with a range of more than 27 km.
18 105 mm M2A1 (M101A1) howitzer light field howitzer. The M101A1 fire 105 mm high explosive (HE) semi-fixed ammunition and had a range of 11,200 metres (12,200 yd), making it suitable for supporting infantry.
Multiple Rocket Launcher Systems (MRLS)
The multiple rocket launcher Systems (MRLS) are a type of self-propelled rocket artillery system qith the capability of simultaneously dropping many hundreds of kilograms of explosive, with devastating effect with multiple unguided and guided warheads. The RMA operates:
- 36 122mm BM-21 (Grad). A MLRS with the launcher unit mounted on the famous M-35 “Deuce-And-A-Half”. The RMA operates the romanian version, the APR-21 with 21-round launcher (3 rows of 7). Unguided projectiles use Fragmentation-HE, Anti-tank mines and submunition, smoke, RF jammer and HEAT warheads with a maximum range of 40km
- At least 12 300mm PHL-03/AR2. A MLRS which is currently one of the most powerful artillery rocket systems in the world. The AR2 (The export version of the PHL-03) has 12 tubes for 300-mm rockets. The standard rocket weights around 800 kg. It’s maximum firing range is between 100 and 150km. It is unknown what type of warheads are available for the AR2. These probably include HE-FRAG, HEI (High-explosive incendiary), fragmentation, cluster warheads with anti-armor and anti-personnel submunitions, and sensor fuzed, top-attack, KE smart submunitions. The AR2 is based on a Wanshan 8×8 high mobility truck chassis.
- 20 M125A1 Mortar carrier with 81 mm M29 mortar mounted on a M113 chassis.
- 36 M106A1/A2 Mortar Carrier with a 107 mm M30 mortar mounted on a M113 chassis.
- 35 AML-60 with a 60 mm breech loading mortar as main weapon and a 7.62 mm machine gun.
- 91 M1064 with a 120mm M120 mortar mounted on a M113 chassis.
- 12 VAB-VTM with a Thomson-Brandt MO-120 mortar in a VAB chassis.